|Location: South Africa » Kwazulu Natal » Drakensberg » Central Drakensberg » Giants Castle|
Giants Castle - The gem of the Central Drakensberg
Giants Castle Game Reserve is situated in the Central Drakensberg. Giants Castle is home of the Eland and the majestic Bearded Vulture. A visit to Giants Castle Nature Reserve offers guests the privilege of entering the remarkable world of the San as well as the opportunity to study a varied and exciting range of habitats. The San Art Museum (Main Cave) is a gentle 30 minute walk from the main camp while the grasslands, marshy areas, indigenous forests and many other energy flow ecosystems are easily accessible.
Eland antelope and Baboons are commonly seen while Mountain Reedbuck are occasionally spotted. Giants Castle camp is situated on a gassy plateau among the deep valleys running down from the face of the High Drakensberg, offering glorious views for hikers and mountain climbers.
Superb rock art is high among the areas special attractions. Visits to the Main Caves Museum awards visitors with fascinating insight into the past lifestyle of the San people. Giants consists of 4 mountain huts, 3 of which are situated just below the main escarpment. The huts can accommodate 8 people and provide opportunities to explore various passes onto the top of the Drakensberg range. The fourth mountain hut is situated lower down on a ridge overlooking meander valleys and accommodate 4 people.
A host of activities can be enjoyed at the Giant Castle Game Reserve, but mostly the area is renowned for its splendid hiking and breathtaking views. Facilities at the reserve include a shop sells a wide range of curios and supplies, an exquisite restaurant and a cosy pub.
Giants Castle Gate Hours:
- Summer (October to March) 5:00am to 7:00pm
- Winter (April to September) 6:00am to 6:00pm
- The office and shop are open from 8:00am to 6:00pm from Monday to Saturday and from 8:00am to 4:00pm on Sunday.
- The weather is subject to change at short notice and hikers must be well equipped as it can get extremely cold. Hikers must also fill in their details in the mountain rescue register before proceeding on a hike.
Rules and conditions of Giant Castle Game Reserve:
- Pets are not permitted into the reserve.
- Facilities for people with disabilities: A 2 bed chalet.
- Education groups from Kwazulu-Natal are admitted free to the reserve.
Accommodation in and around South Africa
Directory of accommodation in South Africa